Wednesday 22 October 2014

A Year In Review 34

October 2013 to October 2014

22nd October 2014,  I awoke to the smell of log fires and dog breath on my 35th birthday.  We had returned to the log cabin in Gadgrith, Ayr for a week retreat to celebrate.  Looking back over the previous 12 months, yet again it proved that no matter what life throws at you, as long as you have love in your life from family and friends you can overcome anything.  2012 - 13 had brought both immense happiness and devastating sadness, I thought that 2013-14 must be better, it had to be.  We were still suffering the loss of our little Spud and little did we know that life was going to get difficult all over again.  Yet, here I am with a smile on my face, loving wife by my side and another year of fun and happiness lies ahead.

October 2013

I didn't feel like celebrating much on my birthday, so I had opted to go to the local curry house for a nice little treat with Clare, Ma n Pa.  

With the Rat Race (Manchester Survival of the Fittest) looming, we set up the "Running4Spud" fundraiser to try and raise some money for the Maternity Unit at Royal Bolton Hospital, little did we know how successful that would be

Clare also applied for a job with the Hospital.

November 2013

With our Rat Racers ready to rock and the weather looking fine, Craig, Sara, James, Natalie,  Gilly, Josh, Rosh, Daavv, Gaz and myself all wearing custom made (thanks to Rosh) Running for Spud Tshirts we hurdled haystacks, parkoured, had a few dips in the canal and were hit with the most biblical hail you have ever seen, yet by the end of it, although battered and bruised, we felt great.







With our 1 year anniversary around the corner, I treated Clare to a weekend away in Edinburgh.  Clare had always wanted to go to Edinburgh, and as we were married on St Andrew's Day I thought there would be no better time to take her.  Our hotel was basic, but the breakfast awesome,  the fire alarm went off at 4am, but we had a great time catching all the sights this fantastic city has to offer.  It was also Christmas Market time as well so Princes Street was  vibrant with Christmas cheer.


Clare started her new job at the Royal Bolton Hospital, happy to work for the hospital that had helped us so much at our time of need.

December 2013

With my brother and his family down in Norwich, we decided to have an "Early Davies Christmas". Even though it was only the 6th December, we classed it as Christmas Eve.  Up early on the 7th for Christmas Day and the leftovers on Boxing Day.  I for one absolutely loved it and the Davies Christmas is something set for the future.

We had also decided to return to Krakow for the Christmas Markets, having loved Krakow on our previous visit (even though it was COLD).  Joined by Clare's Dad and Step-Mum and my Ma, we struggled to spend our money as food and drink are so cheap.  With our Vodka Shop and Bohemian Last Supper, Krakow is still on my favourite city list.

Clare and I had opted for a quiet Christmas Day, so again we went to our local curry house for a lovely meal, to which we found out when the bill arrived that Ma n Pa had sent us a treat from their holiday in Egypt and paid for it.

January 2014

The start of a new year brought a little hope for Clare and I, we were not going to let this year be the same.  We had high hopes and were ready for what the year would bring.

We signed up for the 12 month Unlimited Cineworld Passes, and I started my "Pondo's Year of Cinema" to record all the films we went to see.  The first film on our year long journey was Frozen.

February 2014

For Christmas, Clare had bought me a ticket to go ghost hunting at Dam House in Astley, ticking a challenge off my list.

The highlight (if you can call it that) for me was being left in the attic all alone in a room behind a wall for 30 minutes.  No matter what was there with me (if anything) the fact that I was in that environment, all alone was just a spooky feeling.  I would love to do something like this again, but maybe this time with company.



March 2014

Early March saw Clare and I in another country, we had come to Prague for a long weekend to see what this city had to offer.  Both of us were blown away by the beauty of the city and crossed Charles Bridge a fair few times listening to the Band on the Bridge and seeing what was being sold.  The main square (Lesser Square) with it's big Astrologial Clock (that was a bit of a let down), the glorious food and the vista's from the Palace are all spectacular.  Prague is somewhere I would definitely recommend, and try the pork hock.  It was in Prague that I heard something I hadn't heard for a while, Clare was laughing, not just a giggle but really laughing, I knew this was something she needed and was getting back to herself again.

Clare's Dad and Step-Mum had bought us a weekend break away for a Christmas Present to which we could choose our own hotel and location.  Instead of a big glamorous, fandabulous hotel we opted instead for a working farm in Durham, just what we liked.  With breakfasts to die for and a trip round Durham, we had a great time.  With the Prague and Durham we both realised what we had in our lives and started to appreciate each other more and more.


April 2014

We finally got our results back in relation to the cause of Clare's miscarriage, Clare had been diagnosed with a blood disorder called Factor V Leiden.  Knowing that there was nothing we could have done differently leading to the loss of Spud and being given positivity towards a future pregnancy as there were things that could be done to prevent clotting, things were looking up.

We presented the cheque for the Running4Spud fundraising that we had done at the back of of 2013.  We had raised a staggering £1684 and appeared in the local newspaper with our donation.

With my brother turning 40 at the end of the month, he had got together a few of his cycling mates for a weekend in Shropshire, beer, sing-a-longs and bloody big hills lay ahead and a great start to a few months of celebrations.




May 2014

Another Christmas present, but this time from Ma n Pa took us all to Bluewood Lodges in the Cotswolds for a Davies Retreat.  Ma n Pa, Bro and his family and Clare and I celebrated my brothers 40th birthday in style with Jacuzzi's and booze.  

Whilst in the Cotswolds I took Clare, my niece and nephew to visit the grave of J.R.R Tolkien, author of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit to name a few.

It was also whilst on holiday at Bluewood Lodges that Clare started to feel a little ill.

I had also discussed with Clare earlier in the year of giving her something else to focus on and bring joy to our lives, so in May we were blessed with the tiny patter of four little furry feet.  Chewie the Shih Tzu at 8 weeks old joined our loving house hold and has become a loved member of the Davies Clan





We did a test at the end of May to find out that Clare was pregnant, this time we were taking all precautions.  With the Factor V Leiden that had been discovered earlier, we knew this would mean I would be administering daily injections into Clare's stomach, something we both were not looking forward to.  Little did I know how much pain they would cause Clare every morning.

June 2014

When we went to Las Vegas, we wanted to watch Penn and Teller but unfortunately the week we were there, they were on holiday in the UK.  Luckily they had put on a couple of nights shows in Manchester at the Palace Theatre,   The show was very similar to the Las Vegas show I had seen for my 30th, but still a great show indeed.

At the end of June, Clare woke the morning before our 12 week scan with a horrible feeling and severe bleeding.  We rushed to hospital, but as it was a Sunday, no scan could be done till the day after.  We returned home knowing what the outcome was, but refusing to accept it.  The morning after, it was confirmed that at 9 weeks our little baby had died.  Minutes later, Clare was hemorrhaging again and surrounded by doctors.  This time it was apparently not connected to the Factor V, but just a normal miscarriage.


July 2014



July brought the little geek out of me as we went to the Manchester Comicon and I got to sit in a Delorean DMC with the Marty McFly outfit, and meet Hannah Spearitt from S Club 7.  My cousin James had challenged me to get a selfie with Miss Spearritt and she was happy to accept the challenge.



The day after I was sat in the Bolton Cineworld ready to watch Monty Python Live Streamed from the O2 Arena in London.  This was an amazing experience and as they ended the show with a rendition of "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life", I teared up a whilst whistling along.

August 2014

August started in a confusing manner, Clare did a test to make sure everything was OK and there was a very faint line indicating that she was pregnant.  Only a few weeks before we had done a test as directed by the hospital which had come back negative.   On further investigation by the sonographer, it was diagnosed that Clare had an ectopic pregnancy and needed surgery straight away.  Clare was rushed into surgery and had a falopian tube removed through keyhole surgery.  This seemingly was connected to the original pregnancy and there was a suspicion that it could have been twins.  Clare's body at this point has been put to the limit and we have both decided that for the next twelve months we are solely focusing on health for both of us, but especially Clare.

September 2014

We ventured down to Norwich early in September to go camping for a week with little Chewie. Taking in the Suffolk and Norfolk sites and also spending quality time with my niece and nephew. My brother, who loved the camp site we were on, decided to join us for the last few days and Davies camp was formed.

On our return home I got a call from my good friend Daavv who had signed up to do a bike ride and needed a cycle buddy, with little training time I decided that I would be there.  It was after this that he told me it was from Manchester to Blackpool at 12 midnight.  After a couple of weeks training our journey started at the Trafford Centre and 3 hours 45 mins later we arrived at Blackpool Tower.  A great ride and with Daavv as the lead we hammered our expected time.








October 2014

Into the last month of my 34th year, I started re-focusing on my weight.  Clare and I joined the world of slimming to try and shed the pounds.  This was our year of health and happiness after all, and I am not getting any younger.

I finally got my show date for Countdown as well and faced the 6 time winning Lawrence to see if I could knock him off the pedestal, you will have to wait till the 17th November for the result.  I got to meet Nick, Suzie and the wonderful Rachel so I was happy with the result either way.

And then off to Gadgrith, Ayr to our Log Cabin in the woods for Log Fires, Chewie playing on the beach and a recuperation.

So, again, as I lie here in my bed, looking back over the last 12 months I realise the great times we have had and what the future holds.  With the smell of a log fire burning and Chewie cuddled up next to me and Clare I know that whatever life throws at us, together we are stronger, better and healthier. I am hoping that my next year in review will have 12 sections of happiness, joy and love.


Tasks Completed this year:


I Have Also:

Bought a pair of Heeleys - just need to know how to use them
Watched 212 films on the IMDB 250 list
Got into the 13 stone bracket
Ate grub worms 
Created the Pondo's Year of Cinema Blog
Woken to a new day in Prague


No comments:

Post a Comment